13 November 2006

Lieberman Reminds World He's No Longer a Democrat

This morning's Globe contains an AP article in which Sen. Joe Lieberman says that he will begin the session caucusing with the Democrats, but "won't be ruling out" switching allegiances. He will be "beholden to no political group except the people of Connecticut and, of course, my conscience." With the Senate at 51-49, and Sen. Lieberman playing footsie with both sides of the aisle these days, I'd say that Connecticut will probably come out on top, along with Nebraska (Sen. Ben Nelson), in terms of pork delivered. In an analogy that, quite frankly, works fairly well, Sen. Lieberman is now "the Prettiest Girl in the Senate" or:
He is like the #1 high school football recruit, and 2 schools are trying to woo him. Except imagine that there are absolutely no recruting rules or regulations whatsoever. Money, hookers, coke, you name it is on offer. No matter what happens dude is getting some serious power and CT is getting some serious pork. A remarkable change of events for Ol' Joe.
Now, I don't actually think money, hookers or coke are up Joe's particular alley, I'm sure some things are and the leadership of both parties is going to find out what those things are. Basically, Joe won't be beholden to anything but his consience but the US Senate will be beholden to Joe.

UPDATE: Links fixed (I think), thanks Ryan.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

Any chance you could link the article you found this from? It would be really useful to give all my Lieberman-loving (idiot) friends.

13 November, 2006 13:07  
Blogger Blue-Xela said...

It's amazing how things worked out for Lieberman. In an otherwise good-feeling-wave of an election, he's the one thorn in our side ... the one anomaly of 2006. Not to say that he should be demonized for voting his conscience, but with such a tight Senate balance, we are really going to have to woo this guy.

13 November, 2006 14:59  
Blogger Ivan Ludmer said...

But gosh, am I glad Connecticut Democrats nominated Lamont. Smooth move, boys.

13 November, 2006 17:46  
Blogger 1st Against the Wall said...

I can't say I disagree with your general point, Ivan, but I think we'd be facing the same scenario regardless of whether he'd been challenged or not. After all, Nelson's never been challenged (seriously?) in the primary and I'm predicting the same kind of courting of his vote. But, yes, the Lamont challenge could prove counterproductive at the least in the long run and I thought you nailed that with your post on the subject at JSW. Thanks for stopping by and come back soon.

13 November, 2006 21:16  
Blogger Constant said...

W A Hurd,

I liked this comment you made, I hadn't thought of it and you said it well: "Joe won't be beholden to anything but his consience but the US Senate will be beholden to Joe." Well stated.

As a solution, perhaps the DNC leadership might offer a disaffected GOP Senator a guaranteed Chairmanship if they jump from the GOP ship before Joe, making Joe more beholden to CT, not himself.

14 November, 2006 00:44  
Blogger Ivan Ludmer said...

I'm glad to see you guys are posting again here. I didn't see any updates for a while and so didn't stop by, but I'm very much enjoying your commentary. Keep it up!

14 November, 2006 16:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home