13 January 2006

My First Post/Year End Best Films

I thought it fitting to have my first post be a year in review of of film. So here goes:

Best films of the year:

Me You and Everyone We Know: Written, Directed and Featuring Miranda July.
When I heard that performance artist July was set to make her first feature film, I assumed it would be an assorted collection of montages with people throwing human excrement at walls and men drawing forest animals with homeless women’s' tampons. I was presently surprised to discover that it was, in fact, one of the most delicate character pieces of the year, exploring the connectedness of sexuality at all ages. With amazing performances from the entire cast including July herself in a semi-autobiographical role. This is a must see for people who don't enjoy crap.

Murderball: Directed by Henry Alex Rubin and Dana Adam Shapiro.
This is a documentary about quadriplegics who play a game of full-contact rugby in suped-up "Mad Max-style" wheelchairs. A thinking man's Jackass. The first time you see one dude, take out the other dude by smashing into him with his wheelchair, you are hooked.

The Squid and The Whale: Directed and Written by Noah Baumbach.
The best film I have ever seen about a family going through a divorce. Wonderful performances by all, especially Jeff Daniels in the role of the family's patriarch and child actors who don't make you want to walk outside and sucker punch a pregnant woman. It is also refreshing to see such an honest film about divorce, delivered with such unflinchingly raw humor, which is a great escape from the usual after-school special approach to divorce in film.

Rounding out the top-10.

Syriana

Good Night, and Good Luck

Capote

Junebug

Aristocrats

40 Year Old Virgin

Millions

I will post further reviews of film and music as the year carries on but I'm afraid were in for a lot of crap at the box office until after the Oscars, so keep your fingers crossed.

2 Comments:

Blogger 1st Against the Wall said...

I have to be honest, Walk The Line would have to be on my Top Ten over 40 Year Old Virgin. I'm not certain I even saw ten movies this year, so I'll go with five that didn't suck:
1. Syriana
2. Walk the Line
3. Good Night and Good Luck
4. Aristocrats
5. 40 Year Old Virgin

13 January, 2006 13:40  
Blogger lecollye said...

Walk the Line would be 11 for sure. I'm just not sure whether I love Johnny Cash or Walk The Line however.

13 January, 2006 16:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home