13 February 2006

Welcome News

While we all dig out our from 18 inches of snow, there is a hint of warmth over the horizon, an omen of spring in the offing. As anyone who knows me is well aware, I loathe winter. This weekend's blizzard, then, was not a welcome visitor, and I am ecstatic that it has left us and the sun has returned. It's much easier to deal with in the city, where there are fewer feet to shovel and fewer miles to cover to retrieve necessities (cigarettes, beer, beef jerky, salmon filets and pad thai). In fact, I rather enjoyed being a shut-in on Sunday, watching the Boston skyline appear and disappear at the whim of the falling snow. This, however, is not about snow or winter, and my reluctant respect for its beauty. It is about the moment every year that transforms me from an ashen-faced, dour misanthrope into a ruddy, boisterous, gadfly.

Noah, after 40 days and 40 nights of casting about the ocean, was elated to spy the dove returning to the ark with an olive branch. The travails were ended, the fear that the situation continue in perpetuity were over. Life as he knew it could begin again. Today is that day for me, and for many, though few are likely to give this simple event such importance in altering their countenance. While it may betray some of my issues, I must admit that I find no greater joy during the depths of winter than this day:

Sometime between 1:30 and 2 p.m. today, the Sox’ equipment truck departs Fenway Park for Fort Myers, for the start of spring training. The 18-wheeler is expected to arrive at City Of Palms Park at midweek, a couple of days before pitchers and catchers report on Saturday.

Position players are due Feb. 22, with the first full-squad workout on Feb. 23. All workouts prior to the start of the Grapefruit League schedule on March 2 will be at the team’s minor-league complex.

Spring. I really needed that.

UPDATE:: This is what happens when you don't post for a while. I forgot to put in the link. It's there now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home