05 January 2006

Pat Robertson

Just when you thought the old bat couldn't possibly top the old adage, "gays, liberals responsible for 9-11," he gives you "gays responsible for Katrina" and "it's okay to assassinate Hugo Chavez". And he's not even done yet! (From ... everywhere)
ROBERTSON: I have said last year that Israel was entering into the most dangerous period of its entire existence as a nation. That is intensifying this year with the loss of Sharon. Sharon was personally a very likeable person. I am sad to see him in this condition.

But I think we need to look at the Bible and the Book of Joel. The prophet Joel makes it very clear that God has enmity against those who, quote, "divide my land." God considers this land to be his.

You read the Bible, he says, "This is my land." And for any prime minister of Israel who decides he going carve it up and give it away, God says, "No. This is mine."

And the same thing -- I had a wonderful meeting with Yitzhak Rabin in 1974. He was tragically assassinated, and it was terrible thing that happened, but nevertheless, he was dead.

And now Ariel Sharon, who was again a very likeable person, a delightful person to be with. I prayed with him personally. But here he is at the point of death. He was dividing God's land, and I would say woe unto any prime minister of Israel who takes a similar course to appease the EU, the United Nations or United States of America.

God said, "This land belongs to me, you better leave it alone."


Given the time and inclination, I could probably use my "liberal Jesus theology powers" to dissect this and prove him wrong using as many or more biblical citations as he does. But I don't have the inclination and he doesn't deserve the time. I would suggest we simply point and laugh, but someone, somewhere, is nodding in approval. I can only hope that every denomination in the country gets out a press release (STAT) disavowing this kind of revisionist exegesis.

Oh hell, here's a couple refutations off the top of my head: Egypt, Babylon, Assyria, Greece, Rome, Saladin, Richard the Lionheart, Ottomans, The British Empire and the UN have all "divided" God's land in the past. "All heathens, all in hell," the old coot would respond. Okay, then how about Jacob, Israel himself, who divided the land among his twelve sons? How about Solomon who re-apportioned the land during his reign? How about the division between the Northern and Southern Kingdoms during the Late Iron Age? And I haven't even gotten to 800 BC yet.
Okay, I need to stop before I get far too worked up about something and someone no one takes seriously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home